MBA Bantams drop two OT games at State

The Morris/Benson Area Bantam hockey team has had one of the most successful seasons in recent memory, qualifying for the Bantam B state tournament. The Storm were up against some large programs and dropped both of their games in extra time. On March 15, the Storm battled Hastings and fell 2-1 in overtime. In the consolation bracket on March 16, MBA took on Eden Prairie and lost 4-3 in double overtime to end their state tournament.


The state tournament did not exactly start according to plan for the Storm. They played a much bigger school in Hastings and gave them everything they could handle. The regulation time was not enough to decide the game and Hastings needed overtime to secure the game winning goal to pull off a 2-1 win over the Storm.

Both teams played nearly the whole first period before Hastings finally got on the board to take a 1-0 advantage over the Storm after one period.

The second period went by with neither team getting on the scoreboard.

That single goal from Hastings lasted for nearly the entire game, until Connor Hadfield scored a power play goal on an assist from Gavin Meyer to tie the game at 1-1 with nine minutes left in the third.

Both teams locked up their opponents in the final minutes and forced an overtime period. With 2:34 left in overtime, Hastings picked up the game-winning goal to put the Storm away by one goal.

Despite the final result, Morris/Benson Area had more than double the shots on goal. The Storm finished the game with 36 shots on the goal, compared to 15 shots for Hastings.

Bryce Mast was in net and saved 13 of the 15 shots to finish with an .867 save percentage.


In the consolation bracket, the Storm drew the Eden Prairie Eagles. The team played in the second straight overtime game and came up just short 4-3.

Eden Prairie opened up the scoring with a goal with 10:14 left in the half. Just nine seconds later, Gavin Meyer tied the game with a goal off an assist from Connor Hadfield to make it 1-1 after one period.

The Storm took their first lead of the game when Chase Baker scored an unassisted goal shorthanded to make it 2-1. Less than a minute later, Eden Prairie scored to tie the game at 2-2 after two periods of play.

Nealy the entire third period went by without anybody scoring, but the Eagles did score with 2:19 left in the game to take a 3-2 lead. Jacob Blume came up huge for the Storm with the game-tying goal off an assist from Hadfield to tie the game and force overtime.

Neither team scored in the first overtime period, but Eden Prairie did score a power play goal with 2:18 left in the second overtime to secure the victory.

The Storm peppered the Eden Prairie net with 45 shots and the Eagles only had 17 shot on goal, but converted on four of them. Mast was in net and saved 13 of the 17 shots he faced.